Pioneer Research Awards
True innovation comes from good research
The 2022/2023 ESCRS Pioneer Award is a new initiative sponsored by the ESCRS to support and encourage independent clinical research in the field of cataract and refractive surgery
The competition is open to young ophthalmologists up to the age of 40 (with at least three  years ESCRS membership) holding a full time clinical/research post at an EU-based clinical or academic centre.
The Pioneer Award aims to fund any type of new initiatives, which may include:
- a novel research idea for development of clinical trial studies
- a non-interventional or observational study
- a natural history / epidemiological study
- a comprehensive series of retrospective case-control studies
- a patient or disease registry
The amount for funding that may be awarded to a successful applicant, for up to €50,000 (maximum), and for a project with a duration no longer than 2 years.
How to apply
Applications are now closed and will re-open in March for 2023.