Official ESCRS | European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
Vienna 2018 Delegate Registration Programme Exhibition Virtual Exhibition Satellites 2018 Survey


escrs app advert

Clinical evaluation of a novel extended-depth-of-focus (EDOF) intraocular lens

Search Title by author or title

Session Details

Session Title: Extended Depth-of-Focus IOL Concepts

Session Date/Time: Monday 24/09/2018 | 08:00-10:30

Paper Time: 09:24

Venue: Room A4

First Author: : S.Schallhorn USA

Co Author(s): :    D. Teenan   S. Hannan   B. Kimmerle              

Abstract Details


To provide an evaluation of clinical outcomes one month after refractive lens exchange (RLE) with implantation of a new EDoF intraocular lens


Optical Express


One month outcomes of 36 patients (71 eyes) underwent RLE with implantation of a new EDoF IOL (AT LARA, ZEISS MEDITEC) were analyzed. When the intention was to perform the procedure on both eyes, there was a one day interval between eyes. Refractive and visual acuity clinical outcomes as well as the postoperative use of spectacles to correct distant and near vision were assessed. Near vision was measured using a reading chart with logarithmically sized letters at 40cm.


21 males and 15 females (mean 57.6yrs, 47 to 72) underwent phacoemulsification with implantation of the EDoF IOL. MRSE was reduced from a mean of +1.50±1.05D preop to -0.10D±0.37D postop and 93% of eyes were within ±0.5D. Monocular UDVA improved from 0.51±0.28LM to 0.03±0.13LM 1 month postop and UNVA improved from 0.92±0.21LM to 0.33±0.15LM. 85% of patients achieved binocular UDVA of 20/20 and binocular UNVA of 20/40 or better. 93% of patients indicated that they did not use spectacles for either distant or near activities postop while the remaining (7%) required spectacles for reading.


Binocular implantation of a new EDoF IOL showed very good refractive predictability. Unaided distant and near vision was improved by a mean of 5 and 6 lines, respectively, without complications. Only two patients required occasional use of reading glasses to correct near vision.

Financial Disclosure:

... is employed by a for-profit company with an interest in the subject of the presentation

Back to previous