Official ESCRS | European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons


Practice patterns and outcomes of corneal transplantations in Europe: first report from the European Cornea and Cell Transplantation Registry (ECCTR)

Search Title by author or title

Session Details

Session Title: Cornea Surgical: Keratoplasties

Session Date/Time: Monday 16/09/2019 | 16:30-18:00

Paper Time: 16:36

Venue: Free Paper Forum: Podium 1

First Author: : M.Dickman THE NETHERLANDS

Co Author(s): :    J. Armitrage   M. Armitrage   L. Brocato   S. Dunker   J. Hjordtal   M. Heemskerk   R. Johnson   G. Jones   M. Jones   R. Nuijts   C. Konijn

Abstract Details


To evaluate practice patterns and outcomes of corneal transplantations in the European Cornea and Cell Transplantation Registry (ECCTR).


European quality assessment and improvement registry. During the first year, entries were identified from eight European countries: Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Latvia, and Switzerland.


Using the ECCTR, all consecutive corneal transplantations in the database were analyzed.


In total 3.956 keratoplasties (of which, 2912 primary transplants) were identified. Mean patient age was 65±16 years (62% male). Donor corneas were organ cultured in 93% of cases. Mean donor age was 65±12 years (62% male). Mean donor endothelial cell density was 2700±214 cells/mm2. Main indications were Fuchs (57%), bullous keratopathy (11%), keratoconus (9%), infectious keratitis (7%), and graft failure (3%). Main transplant techniques were DSAEK (32%), PK (29%), DMEK (13%) and DALK (4%). Overall one-year graft survival measured 94%, and was highest for keratoconus (98%, HR 0.2, p<0.001) and DALK (97%, HR 0.2, p<0.001).


The ECCTR provides a web-based platform to collect and analyze data on corneal transplantations for quality assessment and improvement. During the first year, data on 3.956 procedures was collected from eight countries, providing valuable information on practice patterns and outcomes of corneal transplantation across Europe.

Financial Disclosure:


Back to previous