Search Title by author or title

Boston Type 1 keratoprosthesis: our experience in visual results and complications after its implanting

Poster Details

First Author: T.Prieto Moran SPAIN

Co Author(s):    J. Granados Centeno   O. Martin Melero   D. Espinosa Encalada   R. Maroto Cejudo           

Abstract Details


To describe the results of our experience both in best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA) and in complications of Boston Type 1 keratoprosthesis (BKpro1) implant.


University Hospital Complex of Albacete. Albacete. Spain.


We reviewed BKpro1 surgical procedures, from clinical records, from 2010 up to today. A total of five BKpro1 were implanted into 5 eyes of 5 patients. Common preoperative diagnoses were corneal limbal stem cell failure caused by graft failure in 3 (60%) of them and chemical injury in the remaining patients (40%). The mean preoperative BCVA on the logMAR scale was 2.3 while the postoperative BCVA was 0.39 (0.56 on a decimal scale).


The most common complications were retroprosthetic membrane formation (RMF) and high intraocular pressures (IOPs). The RMF appeared in 2 eyes (40%) and was treated with YAG laser membranotomy. IOP also appeared in 3 cases (60%) and was controlled by topical hypotensive medications, except in one patient that required Ahmed valve surgical implant. We found no infectious complications in any of the 5 cases. However, an epiretinal membrane (ERM) did appear in one eye that was treated by vitrectomy and membrane peeling.


BKpro1 improves visual function in patients with multiple failed corneal grafts and poor visual acuity in the other eye at the expense of non-serious complications.

Financial Disclosure:


Back to Poster listing