Clinical results of the correction of mixed astigmatism by FemtoLASIK surgery after cataract phacoemulsification and IOL implantation

Session Details

Session Title: Laser Refractive Surgery (Lasers/LASIK/LASEK/Epi-LASIK)

First Author: M. Mirishova Azerbaijan

Co. Authors :    E. Qasimov   -0 -0   -0 -0              

Abstract Details:


To evaluate the clinical results of correction of mixed astigmatism using the Femto-Lasik surgery after cataract phacoemulsification and IOL implantation.


National Ophthalmology Center named after acad. Z.Aliyeva, Azerbaijan.


Correction of mixed astigmatism by Femto-Lasik surgery after cataract phacoemulsification and IOL implantation were performed on 17 eyes(17 patients).All operations were performed on the femtosecond laser Wavelight-FS200 and excimer laser WaveLight EX500.All patients underwent cataracts phacoemulsification and IOL implantation 1-5 years ago.Age of the patients included in the study was from 41 to 54 years.Keratometry of patients included in the study,was equal 41.62 �Â�±0.54 diopters,pachymetry-545.5�Â�±15.7 microns.The thickness of the flap in all patients was 110-120 microns.Corneal flap diameter-9.00 mm.In planning the operation zone of ablation in all patients was 6.5 mm.Residual stromal thikness was an average 340 �Â�± 8.2 microns.


All patients underwent a complete postoperative follow-up at 1,6 and 12 months.1 month after surgery,were observed the following results:visual acuity with correction 0.7�Â�±0.2; sferoequialent of refraction -0.5�Â�±0.15; a cylindrik component 0.5�Â�±0.25; thickness of the flap 115.60�Â�±5.82; the thickness of residual stroma 340�Â�±6.8.Preoperative spherical equivalent of refraction in all patients ranged from�.5 to �.5 D, astigmatism ranged from-3.50 to-6.00 diopters.1 month after the surgery,a total of 14(82.35%) eyes showed no significant residual astigmatism(<0.50 D),the remaining 3(17.64%) eyes showed a residual astigmatism from-0.50 to-1,00 D.Residual negative sferoiquialent was recorded at 2 eyes in 2 patients.On the remaining 15(88.23%)eyes achieved the target refraction.


Postoperative refraction remained unchanged throughout the observation period in all patients. All the studied parameters remained stable throughout the all period of observation. The studies have shown that Femto�â�€�“Lasik is a viable, noninvasive and accurate procedure to correct ametropia after cataract phacoemulsification with IOL implantation. It is the best technology in the keratorefractive surgery, and allow to obtain better results in the treatment of mixed astigmatism. FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: NONE