Official ESCRS | European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
Lisbon 2017 Delegate Registration Programme Exhibition Virtual Exhibition Satellites OneWorld Travel Discount
escrs app advert

Prevalence of HIV in corneal ulcer patients in desert area in North West Rajasthan at a tertiary centre: a prospective study

Search Title by author or title

Session Details

Session Title: Cornea: Medical

Session Date/Time: Tuesday 10/10/2017 | 08:00-10:30

Paper Time: 08:00

Venue: Room 3.6

First Author: : J.Murli Manoher INDIA

Co Author(s): :    V. Bagaria                    

Abstract Details


The study was conducted with an aim to study prevalence of HIV in corneal ulcer and to determine social-demographic characteristics and etiology of infective corneal ulcer in HIV patients.


PBM Eye Hospital, S.P. Medical College, Bikaner, Rajasthan , India


Study included Eighty two patients of all age groups and of either sex diagnosed to have infective corneal ulceration from January 2015 to December 2016. Cases were studied in terms of clinical examinations, relevant investigations, appropriate treatment and documentation in a data sheet The examination protocol included collection of demographic data, appropriate history, Complete anterior segment examination by Slit lamp and Visual Activity Testing using Snellen’s chart. Corneal scrapping was performed to all patients for Gram stain, KOH and bacterial and fungal culture and microbial susceptibility test. Test for HIV serology was done in all the patients after counselling.


Out of total 82 corneal ulcer patients, seven [8.54%] patients were found seropositive for HIV and seventy five [91.46%] patient were HIV seronegative. Prevalence rate of HIV in corneal ulcer patients was found nine percent. Among seven HIV-seropositive patients, only one patient (14%) was on treatment for HIV infection (ART). The remaining six (86%) were not on treatment for HIV, as they were not aware of their HIV status. The leading cause of corneal ulceration in HIV seropositive patients was fungus (42.85%). Fusarium species (28.57%) is the most common isolated organism in HIV positive patients.


9% of patients with infective corneal ulcers attending eye clinic at Tertiary centre in North- West Rajasthan are HIV sero positive. They present mainly with fungal corneal ulcers which are severe in clinical presentation and have poor visual out come. Efforts to screen for HIV sero status for all patients, presenting with corneal ulcer should be instituted in the eye clinic. Efforts to reduce complications of infective corneal ulcers in HIV seropositive patients require multi -displinary approach. Strategies should be made to sensitize HIV seropositive patients, health workers and the general public on the importance of seeking medical help early.

Financial Disclosure:


Back to previous