Official ESCRS | European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
Lisbon 2017 Delegate Registration Programme Exhibition Virtual Exhibition Satellites OneWorld Travel Discount
escrs app advert

Outcomes of SMILE for spherical myopia

Search Title by author or title

Session Details

Session Title: Small Lenticule Extraction

Session Date/Time: Sunday 08/10/2017 | 11:00-12:30

Paper Time: 11:00

Venue: Room 3.6

First Author: : R.Vida UK

Co Author(s): :    D. Reinstein   G. Carp   T. Archer              

Abstract Details


To report the outcomes of SMILE for myopia with sphere up to -10.00 D and cylinder no greater than 0.50 D.


London Vision Clinic


This was a retrospective review of SMILE at London Vision Clinic using the VisuMax femtosecond laser (Carl Zeiss Meditec). Inclusion criteria were all eyes to have undergone SMILE for sphere up to -10.00 D and cylinder up to 0.50 D between November 2011 and December 2015. SMILE was performed using two 2-mm small incisions; one primary supero-temporally and one reserve supero-nasally. Patients were followed for 1 year after surgery and standard outcomes analysis was performed.


During the study1,049 eyes (690 patients) met the inclusion criteria. One year follow-up was available for 94% of eyes, and 3 months for the remaining 6%. Mean attempted SEQ was -4.69±1.92 D (-1.00 to -9.94 D). Mean cylinder was 0.33±0.17 D (0.00 to 0.50 D). Preop CDVA was 20/20 or better in 100% of eyes.Postop UDVA was 20/20 or better in 93% and 20/25 or better in 98% of eyes. Mean postop SEQ was -0.13±0.37 D, with 83% within ±0.50 D.There was 1 line loss CDVA in 8% of eyes,and one eye (0.1%) lost 3 lines CDVA.


SMILE for spherical myopia (including cylinder up to 0.50 D) was found to achieve excellent visual and refractive outcomes. There was negligible cylinder induced by the small incisions.

Financial Disclosure:

receives consulting fees, retainer, or contract payments from a company producing, developing or supplying the product or procedure presented, travel has been funded, fully or partially, by a company producing, developing or supplying the product or procedure presented

Back to previous