Milan 2012 Programme Registration Exhibition Hotels Exhibitor Listing Satellite Meetings Visa Information
Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty for pellucid marginal degeneration

Poster Details

First Author: A.Al-Torbak SAUDI ARABIA

Co Author(s):                  

Abstract Details


To present the surgical outcomes of deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK) for pellucid marginal degeneration (PMD).


King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia


A retrospective review was performed of 16 eyes of 16 patients who underwent DALK at King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia between January 1, 2006 and December 30, 2009. The mean overall age was 31.4 ? 9.6 years (range, 19-50 years). Baring of DescemetÂ’s membrane (DM) during DALK was achieved in 8 (50%) eyes; residual stroma was left intraoperatively in the remaining 8 (50%) eyes. The big bubble technique was performed in 10 (62.5%) eyes and manual dissection was performed in the remaining 6 (37.5%) eyes. Visual acuity (LogMAR notation), intraocular pressure, intraoperative complications and postoperative graft status were assessed.


The mean follow up was 14.6 ? 8.2 months (range 6-35 months). Visual acuity increased statistically significantly from 0.9 ? 0.3 (range 0.5-1.6) preoperatively to 0.4 ? 0.2 (range 0.0-0.7 ) at last follow-up (p < 0.0001). There was a statistically significant improvement in postoperative sphere, cylinder, and spherical equivalent (p < 0.035, p < 0.001, and p <0.02, respectively) compared to preoperatively. Postoperative visual acuity was not statistically significantly related to gender, type of surgical technique, and baring or perforation of DM. The main graft-related complication was graft-host vascularization (2/16 eyes) .


DALK reduces severe corneal astigmatism and results in good visual and refractive outcomes and is an effective alternative for patients with PMD. FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE?: No

Back to previous

loading Please wait while information is loading.