Milan 2012 Programme Registration Exhibition Hotels Exhibitor Listing Satellite Meetings Visa Information
Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Quality of life: the effect of myopic LASIK

Poster Details

First Author: H.Sandoval USA

Co Author(s):    K. Solomon              

Abstract Details


To assess the effect of wavefront-guided myopic LASIK on patientsÂ’ quality life.


Carolina Eyecare Physicians, Charleston, SC, USA


Prospective, single arm study that included a total of 20 subjects undergoing wavefront-guided myopic LASIK with or without astigmatism. Patient satisfaction was evaluated preoperatively and three months after surgery using the questionnaire developed by the Navy Refractive Surgery Center, Naval Medical Center, San Diego. Five additional questions were added to the questionnaire.


Sixteen patients completed the 3-month visit. Mean age was 33.5 ±10.2 years (range 20.0 to 57.5 years). Sixty-three percent were females and 89.5% Caucasian. Eleven patients reported no change or decreased in dry eye symptoms after surgery compared to preoperative. When queried about glare at night and glare from oncoming headlights at night, 12 and 11 patients, respectively stated no changes or decreased symptoms. Similarly, when questioned about halos at night and halos from oncoming headlights at night, 13 and 12 patients, respectively answered no changes or decreased in symptoms post-LASIK. Additionally, 100% reported that in comparison to what they expected before surgery, their overall vision turned out to be better or much better than expected. Furthermore, 100% of patients were very or extremely satisfied with their vision after surgery and 81% of patients reported that their quality of life improved or greatly improved after surgery. The remaining 19% stated that it did not change.


LASIK impact positively the quality of life of most subjects in this study. All subjects are satisfied with their visual outcome. Most patients report reduction or not changes after LASIK in dry eye, glare and halos. FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE?: ... research is funded, fully or partially, by a company producing, developing or supplying the product or procedure presented

Back to previous

loading Please wait while information is loading.