Barcelona 2015 Programme Registration Glaucoma Day 2015 Exhibition Virtual Exhibition Satellite Meetings Hotel Booking Star Alliance
ISTANBUL escrs









Take a look inside the London 2014 Congress

video-icon

Then register to join us
in Barcelona!





Pattern and management of ocular injuries in Bangladesh: hospital based study

Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Session Details

Session Title: Orbis Free Paper Session

Session Date/Time: Monday 07/09/2015 | 11:30-12:45

Paper Time: 11:48

Venue: Room 4

First Author: : M.Alauddin BANGLADESH

Co Author(s): :    L. Husain,   A. Quddus   M. Osmani   M. Ahmed   M. Shamsal Islam   A. Hossain     

Abstract Details

Purpose:

Ocular injury is a major cause of low vision and blindness. Unfortunately studies on types, prevalence rate and causes of ocular injuries are almost absent in Bangladesh. This study was designed to determine the pattern, causes, and management of ocular injuries in Bangladesh. *Andrea has rest of abstract, exceeded 100 words

Setting:

This study was conducted in Chittagong Eye Infirmary and Training Complex (CEITC), Bangladesh which is only tertiary center providing surgical interventions for ocular injury cases. Ocular injury problem demands immediate attention as it leave permanent damage if timely action is not taken

Methods:

This study is an ex post facto study. Two sets of data were collected: one from the hospital files of ocular injured patients and from the community, through clinical examinations and face to face interviews. The samples -425 injured patients for hospital and 126 for the community respectively. A format was developed for collecting data from hospital files on the basis of information available in patients' files. An interview schedule was constructed for collecting data from the community patients. There were open and close ended questions. SPSS statistical package used for analyzing the data. The qualitative data were analyzed manually

Results:

The vast majority of the injuries were Open Globe (91%) and the rest Close Globe (9%). Most common types of injury were Penetrating (81.4%), followed by Lime Burn (7%), and Ruptured Globe (6.4%) and other (5%) injuries. More than 65% of the hospital patients were 18 years of age or below. Open Globe Injury was as high as 91% for hospital patients as against only 18% for the community patients. Similarly Close *Globe Injury was 82% among community patients as against 9% of hospital patients. There were 12% females and 6% males among hospital patients who had Lime Burn

Conclusions:

Two different patterns of injuries are observed in two different locations, hospital mostly Open Globe (91%) and community Close Globe (81%). Surgery was the main mode of management of hospital patients (95.5%) but for community patients it was medicine (62%). Most concerning matter is that about 58% and 51% hospital and community patients had monocular blindness, respectively. One-third of the community patients did not receive treatment within 24 hours. They assigned the cause to financial constraint, absence of escort, considered the injury not serious and no physician or service centre nearby. Among the service recipient women were fewer than men

Financial Interest:

NONE

Back to previous