London 2014 Registration Visa Letters Programme Satellite Meetings Glaucoma Day 2014 Exhibition Hotel Booking Virtual Exhibition Star Alliance
london escrs

Course handouts are now available
Click here


Come to London

video-icon

WATCH to find out why


Site updates:

Programme Updates. Programme Overview and - Video Symposium on Challenging Cases now available.


Posters

Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Risk factors of disease progression after cataract surgery in chronic angle-closure glaucoma patients

Poster Details

First Author: C.Lee SOUTH KOREA

Co Author(s):    C. Kim   D. Kim           

Abstract Details



Purpose:

To evaluate clinical risk factors of disease progression after cataract surgery, phacoemulsification with posterior chamber intraocular lens (PCIOL) implantation, in eyes with chronic angle-closure glaucoma (CACG) and coexisting cataract.

Setting:

Clinical practice

Methods:

Setting: clinical practice Study Population: The data of 56 eyes of 45 CACG patients who had undergone uncomplicated phacoemulsification with PCIOL implantation were retrospectively analyzed. Observational Procedures Main Outcome Measures: Disease progression, Correlations between VF progression and various pre- and postoperative factors

Results:

Mean postoperative follow-up period was 45.13 ± 17.54 (24-84) months. Fourteen eyes (25%) with cataracts diagnosed with CACG progressed after phacoemulsification, but the remaining 42 eyes (75%) did not. According to univariate analysis, disease progression was significantly associated with older age, more number of pre-/postoperative antiglaucoma drugs, higher scores of preoperative pattern standard deviation, and lower scores of pre- and postoperative visual field index (VFI)( P<0.05). Using multivariate analysis, a lower score of preoperative VFI (OR: 0.86, P=0.044), and lower postoperative intraocular pressure (IOP) reduction which was not sustained below 20% less than preoperative mean IOP were significantly correlated with disease progression after cataract surgery (OR: 8.44, P=0.048).

Conclusions:

CACG patients with low preoperative VFI and high postoperative IOP are at risk of disease progression even after uncomplicated cataract surgery. FINANCIAL INTEREST: NONE

Back to Poster listing