London 2014 Registration Visa Letters Programme Satellite Meetings Glaucoma Day 2014 Exhibition Hotel Booking Virtual Exhibition Star Alliance
london escrs

Course handouts are now available
Click here


Come to London

video-icon

WATCH to find out why


Site updates:

Programme Updates. Programme Overview and - Video Symposium on Challenging Cases now available.


Posters

Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Videokeratographic screening of keratoconus indices in inflammatory bowel disease

Poster Details

First Author: U.Taka Aydin TURKEY

Co Author(s):    O. Cekic              

Abstract Details



Purpose:

To investigate the corneal irregularity indices and to determine the incidence of keratoconus in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.

Setting:

Marmara University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, Istanbul, Turkey

Methods:

In this cross-sectional study, subjects having inflammatory bowel disease (female: 39, male: 33; mean age: 40 years) underwent a comprehensive ophthalmologic examination. Eyes were evaluated by using a videokeratography for anterior corneal surface irregularity indices: index of height decentration, index of vertical asymmetry, index of height asymmetry, index of surface variance, and keratoconus index. Keratoconus was graded based on Amsler - Krumeich keratoconus scale.

Results:

Totally 72 patients were evaluated. Average duration of the disease was 70 months (range: 1 to 300 months). Thirty-eight patients had Chron's disease (54%) while the rest had ulcerative colitis (n=34, 46%). The frequency of indices was established as follows; index of height decentration: 56.9%, index of vertical asymmetry: 8.3%, index of height asymmetry: 6.9%, index of surface variance: 4.2%, and keratoconus index: 2.8%. In total, 56% of patients (n=41) were abnormal at least one of the index. Keratoconus was observed in 6 patients (8.3%; female: 4 and male: 2). Index of height decentration and keratoconus did not significantly differ between Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis (P > 0.05 and P > 0.05, respectively).

Conclusions:

This study found increased corneal abnormal index of height decentration values both in Chron's disease and ulcerative colitis. Patients with inflammatory bowel disease should be screened for early keratoconic corneal alterations. FINANCIAL INTEREST: NONE

Back to Poster listing