London 2014 Registration Visa Letters Programme Satellite Meetings Glaucoma Day 2014 Exhibition Hotel Booking Virtual Exhibition Star Alliance
london escrs

Course handouts are now available
Click here


Come to London

video-icon

WATCH to find out why


Site updates:

Programme Updates. Programme Overview and - Video Symposium on Challenging Cases now available.


Posters

Search Abstracts by author or title
(results will display both Free Papers & Poster)

Importance of corneal ring implantation in reducing the keratoplasty indication in patients with keratoconus

Poster Details

First Author: J.Beniz BRAZIL

Co Author(s):    L. Beniz   G. Queiroz   C. Queiroz   W. Lopes     

Abstract Details



Purpose:

To assess the impact of intrastromal corneal rings (ICRs) as a surgical alternative to corneal grafting in keratoconus patients

Setting:

Centro de Referencia em Oftalmologia UFG, Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil

Methods:

This single-surgeon, single-center retrospective observational study included 19 eyes of 18 patients (mean age, 23.36 ±6.22 years with a confirmed diagnosis of keratoconus who were included in the State of Goiás corneal graft waiting list. Following extensive pre-operative examinations including measurement of best corrected visual acuity (BCVA), applanation tonometry, biomicroscopy, fundus exam, pachymetry and corneal topography, patients were implanted with the Keraring® ICR (Belo Horizonte, Brazil). Patients underwent clinical examination 1, 7, 30, 90, 180 days postoperative and 2 years after surgery.

Results:

At a mean follow-up of for 28.72 (±4.71) months, there was statistically-significant improvement in BCVA (0.58 ±0.3 post-operatively versus 0.33 ±0.23 pre-operatively, p=0.006). At the 2-year follow-up, 3 of 19 eyes (15.8%) maintained the keratoplasty indication. The remaining patients (84.2%) opted for spectacles (52.6%) or contact lenses (31.6%) for best BCVA, and these methods of vision correction were still effective at the 2-year follow-up.

Conclusions:

Implantation of an ICR proved to be an effective alternative to corneal grafting in this series of patients, and may help to reduce the keratoplasty indication in patients with keratoconus. FINANCIAL INTEREST: NONE

Back to Poster listing